Featured Resolved
Facilities and Services
Number of Destinations
Quality of Accommodation
Quality of Food
Poster increased review rating.

Update by user Nov 03

Viking did respond and said that they take our concerns very seriously .They Monitor complaints such as ours and take steps to maintain a healthy environment in-board.I have no doubt that our concern is being addressed.

It is possible that our being taken ill was a rare event. Their response gives me confidence that someone listened.

Everyone we met on-board reported good experiences and many have taken three or four previous cruises.Again, the Captain, chef, staff, and crew were the best and I hope our individual circumstance does not deter anyone else from embarking on a Viking adventure.

Original review posted by user Nov 01

We embarked on the Viking Ship Kadlin, from LaPecq France for a sail up the Seine to the Normandy Beaches.When we came aboard, people from the previous cruise were still leaving the ship.

On about the 4th day, people were beginning too cough and by the 5th and 6th day, some people were quite ill with respiratory distress. My wife was struck with a fever on our last night. The next day, we waited to disembark and we were now both showing signs of illness. And, people were arriving from their flights to board the boat for the next journey up the Seine.

I am sure we left some germs on the surfaces we came into contact with in those last few hours and that they were there, all fresh for the new passengers. OK! While it is unsure when an illness is contracted, it is clear that no time was set aside to disinfect the ship's well trafficked surfaces both public and in the private rooms. We had planned three days in Paris following the cruise...

those days were spent in beds in an AirBnB. We have been recovering for 10 days following our return home and with the help of a physician and antibiotics to ward off pneumonia. That was our first and last viking cruise. The staff was very nice and the food was awesome, but the possibility of repeating our experience will keep us from a 2nd cruise.

For me, it is the prospect of being sick and tied to the cruise for the duration of the journey or dealing with changing reservations and finding transportation back to the point of origin is a bleak prospect. We wrote to Viking. No Response.

Sigh!Just one day for a turnaround cleanup would be a customer relations move that would encourage folks to sign up for other cruises.

Reason of review: health issue.

I liked: Food, Food staff.

I didn't like: No turn around time for disinfecting surfaces between trips.

Had an Experience with Viking Cruises?

Comments

I have Meniere's Disease which affects the inner ear and prohibits motion relayed activities and causes vertigo amongst other plagues.

Ordinarily I hate my disease more than Satan but, reading travel horror stories like yours allows me to gracefully hid behind it and decline such travel situations.

Additionally , I personal know several persistent travelers ; each of home can relate several stories similar if not identical to yours.

I'm glad you're better now and I don't know where you live, but I hope you kissed the ground when you arrived.

user53474981
to Smitty #1387405

Yes... there is no place like home.

VikingCruises
Viking Cruises Verified Representative

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out, and welcome home from your Paris & the Heart of Normandy cruise.We are sorry to hear of you and your wife’s illness, and wish for a speedy recovery.

Please be assured that that Viking crew and staff practice safe, consistent sanitation methods during off- and on-boarding. While the time in between your disembarkation and new guests' embarkation may seem short, efficient protocols and staggered passenger arrivals allow for sufficient cleaning.

We regret to hear of your experience reaching out to customer service to discuss your concerns – rest assured this is not typical of the Viking experience.

If you would kindly send us your contact information at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, it will be our pleasure to connect you with an experienced Customer Relations Agent to address your feedback.We hope to hear from you soon, and wish you a lovely day.

Kind regards,